ON THE WAY TO LIVING WATER
We are offering short and accessible all year round tourist route developed under the Eden Project. This route will take you to a series of sites connected with the presence of water in the life of the local population and to mineral springs located in municipality of Sandanski.
The journey for living water gives a chance for direct contact with the people here and the possibility of experiencing the local customs, culture, traditions, cuisine and beverages. The turns of the 3200 year habitation history of Sandanski had lead the region through remarkable times, one of which is the blooming of these lands as a Roman province (V century BC). Many years ago the Thracian tribes Maedi and Sinti, who lived here and later the Romans and Slavs used the restorative properties of mineral waters.
TOURIST ROUTE "ON THE WAY TO LIVING WATER"
The beginning of the route starts from the town of Sandanski and includes 4 sites:
ARCHAEOLOGICAL PARK SANDANSKI
The Bishop`s basilica is Archaeological and cultural monument from Antiquity. It is the most representative and typical classical Hellenistic monumental basilica in the ancient city (V-VI centuries). The complex includes a fully preserved baptisterium (The Baptistery), which is the only one in Bulgaria in shape and size. The Martyrium is a part of the Basilica where the relics of the saints were kept. It is painted with frescoes and in its center there is a marble altar table with shaped borders of fine Thassos marble. A still functioning holy spring in built in the marble floor. Its water is considered curative and miraculous and is also used in Christian rituals. The baptisterium was once filled with the same water and inside the sacrament of Baptism was performed. In the premise next to the Martyrium was found a unique fragment depicting a sixth century saint - one of the earliest found in Christian Europe.
STS COSMAS AND DAMIAN MONASTERY
The monastery is located 2 km south from the central part of the town of Sandanski. It is situated in a picturesque place among meadows, orchards and centuries-old plane trees. It is believed that during Antiquity here lived and healed the saint brothers – Cosmas and Damian the Silverless. Its story started in XIV c. but later was destroyed by the Turks. It was rebuilt in 1928, and in 90’s in its yard two chapels were built – St. Petka and St. Dimitrius.
An ancient healing place built on thermal spring waters, associated in Antiquity with the saint brothers – Cosmas and Damian the Silverless. Here, they help patients through the healing power of the mineral water, climate and the Christian faith. The place of their health station today is known as "Miroto" where small fenced pools with mineral water with different temperature are functioning in the summer. Next to them is a fountain from which one can fill a glass of the healing water to drink.
THE MINERAL FOUNTAIN
It is located at the square, at the beginning of the town park and in front of Sandanski Interhotel. Sandanski mineral water combined with the specific climate of the town is suitable for treatment of the following diseases: non-specific, chronic respiratory diseases (bronchitis, asthma, allergic rachitis, sinusitis, pharyngitis); conditions after pneumonia, bronchiectasis, emphysema, lung cancer at an early stage; chronic joint diseases (Bechterew spondylarthrosis, after fracture, rheumatoid arthritis); diseases of the peripheral nervous system - neuralgia, neuritis, plexitis; rehabilitation after strokes. The mineral waters of Sandanski are hyperthermal, slightly alkaline, hydrocarbonate, sulfate, sodium, fluoric (F = 4-7 mg / l), high silicon content H2SiO3 - 80-142 mg / l, with mineralization from 0.57 to 0, 69 g. The only micro components with relatively high concentrations is Sr - 0,15.
The next part of route takes us to Sklave village (12 km from Sandanski) and has to do with the ancient history of the region.
In mid-June, we will take you to a restoration of an ancient local tradition - Roman marketplace, where you will be able to watch slave sale and gladiator fights. Every year in Sklave village a fair takes place, which dates back to Roman times. In Antiquity it was the largest slave market in the region, hence is the name of the village – Sklave - from the word "Sklav" which in Latin meant "slave." Legends have it that the leader of the largest anti-Roman slave uprising - Spartacus was sold on this market. According to other legends he was born and raised in this village. Nowadays, the fair is the largest regional market of animals, where fights are held each year. Before being put on display for sale, the owners led their slaves to the mineral spring whose water healed their wounds and restored their strength. Today, this spring is located on the road connecting the villages Sklave and Spatovo and the locals call it the Slave spring. Slave spring water has total mineralization 0.570 g / l. It is characterized as thermal, mineralized-fresh sulphate-hydrocarbonate, sodium and fluoride.
Our next stop is Hotovo village (16 km from Sandanski and 4 km from Sklave village) where you can have a sip of the living water.
This mineral water has a beneficial effect for the following diseases: kidney - urology; gall - liver; gastro - intestinal; exchange - endocrine; osteoporosis of different origin, chronic professional intoxication in individuals exposed to substances harmful to health. Prophylactically the water helps for caries and age osteoporosis, in case of longer use (months, years) the fluoride should not exceed 1 mg daily. Its chemical composition is alkaline, HCO3-(HCO3-SO4 or SO4 - HCO3) - Na and fluoric with M from 0.3 to 0,9 g / l.
Our journey for "living water" continues to Katuntsi village (19 km from the village of Hotovo).
The mineral water from this field is bottled under the brand name "Prepodobna Stoyna" (Reverend Stoyna) and has a beneficial effect for the following diseases: kidney, urologic, gastrointestinal and metabolic -endocrine. It can be used for inhalation and is beneficial for diseases of the upper respiratory tract. The fountain with mineral water is located at the beginning of the village, next to St. Athanasius church. The water is hypothermic and hydrocarbonate , slightly mineralized with total mineralization of up to 0,350 mg / L. It contains sodium, hydrogencarbonate ions that improve metabolism at cellular level, helps for the better concentration and thinking processes, stimulates the muscle activity and slows the aging process.
Our route ends in Zlatolist village (6 km from the village of Katuntsi) and St. George church.
On the way to Zlatolist village once again one will have the opportunity to sip the Prepodobna Stoyna living water. In the courtyard of St. George church in Zlatolist village (1857) you will find a small well and the temple is remarkable for its murals, painted in 1876. In the middle of the dome there is a marble plaque with double-headed eagle. Legends have it that if a person steps on it, they will be cured from any disease. In the churchyard there is a plane around 1300 year old, which is also believed to help for various diseases. During the first half of the twentieth century in a little room in the female ward lived Reverend Stoyna, revered by the local population because for her healing and prophetic powers. Her life passed in caring for people, in fasting and prayers.